This project is read-only.

minor issues with changeset 22858

May 19, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Will,  I just downloaded changeset 22858 and noticed a few issues that should be resolved in order to get the MVC application to start.

1.  The surveyhost.mvc.sql script is missing the Version timestamp columns on all of the none ASP.NET Membership tables (i.e. all SurveyHost specific tables)

2.  In the SurveyHost.Models.Configuration partial class there is a call to LastOrDefault in the Retrieve method (line 18).  This code fails during startup because I believe LinqToSql doesn't support LastOrDefault. I replaced line 18 with this call: var result = context.Configurations.OrderByDescending(x => x.Id).FirstOrDefault();

Interesting project, keep up the good work.  I can't wait to see this evolve.

~Chuck

May 20, 2009 at 1:04 PM

1) I don't have any use for a timestamp column on these right now.  Part of the reason why the project has languished is because I'm not sure about what ORM/DAL/data model code generator to use.

2)  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.linq.enumerable.lastordefault.aspx

I'm sidetracked now with a paying side-project, so this project won't get worked on by me until late summer/early fall...

May 21, 2009 at 4:13 AM
I think the LinqToSql ORM is a good DAL platform to use. The built-in transaction support and IQueryable fluent filtering chain really eases development and readability. The EF framework still has issues.
FYI, As far as the use of LastOrDefault with LinqToSql you should take a look at this document, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb399342.aspx . Specifically it states, "Translation of these methods is possible for an ordered set but is not currently translated by LINQ to SQL. "

Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:05 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: minor issues with changeset 22858 [SurveyHostMVC:56809]

1) I don't have any use for a timestamp column on these right now. Part of the reason why the project has languished is because I'm not sure about what ORM/DAL/data model code generator to use.

2) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.linq.enumerable.lastordefault.aspx

I'm sidetracked now with a paying side-project, so this project won't get worked on by me until late summer/early fall...

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Edited Jan 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM
njappboy wrote:

Will,  I just downloaded changeset 22858 and noticed a few issues that should be resolved in order to get the MVC application to start.

1.  The surveyhost.mvc.sql script is missing the Version timestamp columns on all of the none ASP.NET Membership tables (i.e. all SurveyHost specific tables)

2.  In the SurveyHost.Models.Configuration partial class there is a call to LastOrDefault in the Retrieve method (line 18).  This code fails during startup because I believe LinqToSql doesn't support LastOrDefault. I replaced line 18 with this call: var result = context.Configurations.OrderByDescending(x => x.Id).FirstOrDefault();

Interesting project, keep up the good work.  I can't wait to see this evolve.

~Chuck

Hi! any solution for the Version problem??

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Christian,

I believe I just updated the script to add the Version timestamp columns. I don't have the altered script or I would provide it to you.

Cheers,

Chuck Wagner
Mobile: 908.chuck.jr (908.248.2557)

To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 12:13:03 -0800
Subject: Re: minor issues with changeset 22858 [SurveyHostMVC:56809]

njappboy wrote:
Will, I just downloaded changeset 22858 and noticed a few issues that should be resolved in order to get the MVC application to start.
1. The surveyhost.mvc.sql script is missing the Version timestamp columns on all of the none ASP.NET Membership tables (i.e. all SurveyHost specific tables)
2. In the SurveyHost.Models.Configuration partial class there is a call to LastOrDefault in the Retrieve method (line 18). This code fails during startup because I believe LinqToSql doesn't support LastOrDefault. I replaced line 18 with this call: var result = context.Configurations.OrderByDescending(x => x.Id).FirstOrDefault();
Interesting project, keep up the good work. I can't wait to see this evolve.
~Chuck
Hi! any solution for the Version problem??
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SurveyHostMVC@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email SurveyHostMVC@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Jan 6, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Hi! Thanks for your quick reply! can you post an script update please?

Thank you so much!